Communications Coordinator Position
Jul 9, 2021
The Deep South Center for Environmental Justice is seeking an experienced Communications Coordinator.
About the Deep South Center for Environmental Justice
The Deep South Center for Environmental Justice (DSCEJ) is dedicated to improving the lives of children and families harmed by pollution and vulnerable to climate change in the Gulf Coast Region through research, education, community and student engagement for policy change, as well as health and safety worker training for environmental careers. The DSCEJ provides opportunities for communities, scientific researchers, and decision makers to collaborate on projects that promote the rights of all people to be free from environmental harm as it impacts health, jobs, housing, education, and overall quality of life. The DSCEJ operates three programs: (1) Research and Policy Studies; (2) Community and Student Education, Training, and Engagement; and (3) Environmental, Health and Safety Worker Training. Navigate NOLA, a division of the DSCEJ, provides social emotional wellness programs for children and adults. The DSCEJ directs and manages the newly re-launched National Black Environmental Justice Network (NBEJN).
DSCEJ is seeking a Communications Coordinator who is self-driven and detail-oriented with a demonstrated passion for justice and equity. This individual will report to the Executive Director of DSCEJ.
The Communications Coordinator will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, social media, as well as public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate DSCEJ’s mission. The Communications Coordinator will work closely with program directors within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the network's discreet audiences in collaboration with the DSCEJ team and constituents
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action, as well as advise on who, where, and when to disseminate
- Put communications vehicles in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and DSCEJ website
- Mentor and lead a team member responsible for DSCEJ website administration and coordination
- Coordinate webpage maintenance—ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time
- Manage development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual report, e-newsletters, and DSCEJ website
- Coordinate and organize annual meetings that engage the network's discreet audiences
- Manage all media contacts
- Organize and maintain an archive of DSCEJ communications, including photos, images, and videos
- Execute communications strategies and outreach materials for advocacy campaigns, signature events, and donor and supporter engagement. Items may include blog posts, press releases, Op-Eds, videos, social media content, and other items.
- Manage and regularly update content on DSCEJ Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Create and manage the editorial calendar for website updates, newsletter content, social media posts and media pitches.
- Create a digital and traditional press kit that includes an organization backgrounder, program fact sheets, leadership bios, infographics, etc.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with online, print and broadcast journalists; editorial writers and columnists; and opinion leaders.
- Regularly pitch news ideas to media that are aligned with DSCEJ program areas, signature events and thought leadership.
- Develop and implement a system to track electronic files, media lists, press clips, brochures, fact sheets, photos, images, videos, etc.
DSCEJ is seeking an accomplished Communications Coordinator who has at least 6 to 8 years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge, including scientific data, and transform it into impactful, accessible, and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
Specific requirements include:
• Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
• Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
• A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
• Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
• High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
• Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
• Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
It is the policy of the Deep South Center for Environmental Justice to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email a detailed cover letter highlighting your interest, your resume and three professional references to email@example.com. Please include the Communications Coordinator Position in the subject line.