Finance and Operations Manager
Aug 3, 2020
Finance and Operations ManagerThe Deep South Center for Environmental Justice is seeking an experienced Finance and Operations Manager. We are interested in hiring a highly motivated person who can perform day-to-day accounting including grants management, prepare financial reports, and administer office operations.
About the OrganizationThe Deep South Center for Environmental Justice (DSCEJ) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and families harmed by pollution and vulnerable to climate change in the Gulf Coast Region through research, education, community and student engagement for policy change, as well as health and safety training for environmental careers.
Currently, the DSCEJ employs 13 people. The DSCEJ directs projects involving universities and community-based organizations in seven states.
The DSCEJ was founded by Dr. Beverly Wright in 1992 in collaboration with community environmental groups and universities in the Southern region to advance environmental justice. Since this time, the DSCEJ has become a powerful resource for environmental justice research, education, advocacy, as well as health and safety training for environmental careers.
The DSCEJ provides opportunities for communities, scientific researchers, and decision makers to collaborate on projects that promote the rights of all people to be free from environmental harm as it impacts health, jobs, housing, education, and quality of life. A major goal of the Center continues to be the development of environmental justice leaders in African American and other communities of color along the Mississippi River Chemical Corridor and the broader Gulf Coast Region.
Position OverviewThe Finance and Operations Manager oversees the day-to-day financial and administrative operations of the DSCEJ. This position is responsible for grants management, performing all accounting and banking functions of the organization, logging and maintaining financial data using QuickBooks, and generating financial reports. In addition, the Finance and Operations Manager performs office administrative tasks, human resources duties, and other assignments related to the financial health and operation of the organization. This is a full-time position in New Orleans, LA. The Finance and Operations Manager reports directly to the Executive Director. At times, this position requires travel and extended hours.
- Perform accounting and financial analysis for grants management.
- Manage the overall accounting and bookkeeping, including accounts payable and receivable, inventory and capital assets, banking, and payroll functions.
- Process reimbursements, purchase and check requests for DSCEJ staff.
- Oversee payroll.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to account for revenue for all development initiatives, including but not limited to creating and monitoring all grant budgets and grant related financial information; processing and tracking all forms of donations; and generating revenue reports.
- Accurate data entry and maintenance of all financial data using QuickBooks.
- Interface with accounting personnel to coordinate annual financial audits and oversee all 990 reports.
- Facilitate the annual budget process.
- Generate financial reports and analysis of financial statements, including statement of activities, fund balance, and sources/uses of funds on a monthly basis and as needed.
- Provided administrative assistance, including oversight of facility contracts, and establishing and managing vendor accounts and relationships.
- Responsible for office management including, but not limited to, telephone and internet services, connecting with building management, postage and UPS services, copier and all office equipment.
- Analyze and organize office operations and procedures to increase efficiency and productivity.
- Oversee benefit programs for all staff.
- Coordinate travel arrangements to ensure proper expense accounting for all staff.
- Assist the Executive Director with managing the interests of the organization.
- Assist the Executive Director on additional assignments, as needed.
- A flexible, creative, entrepreneurial spirit and a shared for the mission, vision and values of the DSCEJ.
- An approachable nature and ability to handle questions and requests timely.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and complete tasks.
- Ability to contribute and collaborate with the team and across the organization.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Experience working with diverse constituents, teams and colleagues.
- Ability to employ flexibility and creativity in the face of ambiguity and challenge.
- Organizational and project management experience.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business or related field.
- Minimum of five years of experience in nonprofit management, grant account management and financial reporting.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- High work ethic and integrity.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel programs, QuickBooks program, and Google environments.
Competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary range: $55-65K.
It is the policy of the Deep South Center for Environmental Justice to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email a detailed cover letter highlighting your interest, your resume and three professional references in Microsoft Word documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the Finance & Operations Manager Position in the subject line.