Network Coordinator Position
Jul 9, 2021
The Deep South Center for Environmental Justice is seeking an experienced Network Coordinator.
About the Deep South Center for Environmental Justice
The Deep South Center for Environmental Justice (DSCEJ) is dedicated to improving the lives of children and families harmed by pollution and vulnerable to climate change in the Gulf Coast Region through research, education, community and student engagement for policy change, as well as health and safety worker training for environmental careers. The DSCEJ provides opportunities for communities, scientific researchers, and decision makers to collaborate on projects that promote the rights of all people to be free from environmental harm as it impacts health, jobs, housing, education, and overall quality of life. The DSCEJ operates three programs: (1) Research and Policy Studies; (2) Community and Student Education, Training, and Engagement; and (3) Environmental, Health and Safety Worker Training. Navigate NOLA, a division of the DSCEJ, provides social emotional wellness programs for children and adults. The DSCEJ directs and manages the newly re-launched the National Black Environmental Justice Network (NBEJN).
DSCEJ is seeking a Network Coordinator for NBEJN who is self-driven and detail-oriented with a demonstrated passion for justice and equity. This individual will report to the Executive Director of DSCEJ.
The Network Coordinator will play a critical role in helping NBEJN achieve its vision to provide high quality program coordination for members. The Network Coordinator will be responsible for a variety of professional activities to build relationships, trust, and alignment with NBEJN members; coordinate working groups; design, coordinate, and implement campaigns; and conduct qualitative and quantitative evaluations of programs and activities. The individual will be counted on for clear communications, effective organizing and coordination with diverse members, achieving project goals and objectives, and positioning NBEJN and its membership for continued success.
- Oversee program implementation in coordination with the Leadership Team
- Assist members to grow their organizations and capacities
- Build strategic partnerships
- Support consistent and progressive steps toward sustaining NBEJN and achieving programmatic priorities
- Monitor the status of work plans and priorities derived from the strategic plan; and regularly communicate with DSCEJ staff on the status in order to effectively coordinate accountabilities, objectives, and associated budgets
- Develop a knowledge management system that ensures maximum sharing of information and learning throughout the organization and the NBEJN membership
- Support the Leadership Team
- Maintain regular and effective communications with the NBEJN membership
- Schedule and organize meetings and events, as well as prepare and maintain agendas and minutes
- Ensure the implementation of policies and practices
- Communicate information and updates in a timely manner to the NBEJN membership
- Keep up-to-date on the plans and activities of the Work Groups, as well as maintain regular attendance at Work Group meetings
- Assist in developing a centralized information system
- Assist in disseminating communications to the media and on social media
- Create and regularly publish an NBEJN e-newsletter
- Facilitate opportunities for the NBEJN membership to have input on relevant federal and state policymaking
- Collaborate with DSCEJ staff on joint projects such as webinars, press conferences, etc.
- Help build positive relations between the Network membership and external parties
- Assist Network members in accessing communications technology (video conferencing, presentations, etc.)
- Organize and maintain NBEJN documents, records, photos, images, and videos
- Occasionally assist with the preparation of reports and proposals
- Bachelor's degree required, graduate degree preferred; at least 6 to 8 years of professional experience in a general management role, preferably in a rapidly evolving institution
- Highly organized and ability to wear multiple hats in an ambiguous, fast-moving environment; a driving force who manages toward clarity and solutions
- A successful track record in setting priorities, shaping processes, guiding people and systems, and developing the infrastructure that creates a stronger and more efficient organization
- Thorough understanding of project management; able to work effectively under pressure to meet tight deadlines and challenging goals
- A consummate team player with a flexible and creative approach
- Excellent communication and coalition building skills with an ability to balance, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders; high level of knowledge and understanding, especially as it relates to program replication, connecting programs to funding, creatively generating other resources, and building strategic partnerships
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a demonstrated commitment to NBEJN mission
It is the policy of the Deep South Center for Environmental Justice to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email a detailed cover letter highlighting your interest, your resume and three professional references to email@example.com. Please include the Network Coordinator Position in the subject line.